Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome To 13 And 1 For Fun


About The Page: 

     I wanted to jot a note to let y'all know a bit about this page.  One of my New Year resolutions for 2014 is to effect positive change in at least one person through running.  To that end I created the Get Off The Couch Half-Marathon Support Facebook page and have started this blog to provide a bit more interaction, stories, and training guidance geared to the novice and aspiring runner.  Yea, there are tons of blogs out there.  I follow quite a number of them via Facebook and my personal blog.  So why this one?  Because I felt like I wanted to have a voice in the running community, so here it is.  I also got tired of writing race reports on my own blog and wanted to help anyone out there who wants to run.  We'll do that through motivational messages, some smack talking, and general comradery. 


What You Can Expect:

     The blog is planned to run until the San Antonio Rock N Roll Half marathon in November 2014.  That's the goal race we'll be preparing for.  Starting with a person who has been physically inactive for some time, we'll work to get you from the couch to the half marathon.  Weekly training guidance posts, shoe, gear, training tips, running movie reviews, running products, links to various books and websites for additional information will all be posted here.  It's okay if you don't know the first darn thing about running a half marathon, you'll learn.  We'll schedule to meet at some 5K and 10K runs through the year, to test fitness.  Also monthly training run in the San Antonio area, followed by a cold beer or four.  You may be thinking, "Why a couch to half-marathon? Why not a couch to 5K?"  Because everybody does a couch to 5K, let's step up the challenge!!!!! 

About Me:

      My name is, my name is, Slim Shady. :)  Not really, It's John T. Sharp.  What qualifies me to opine on running?  Not much.  I'm not a certified running coach through any of the various running organizations such as RRCA, POSE, or USATF.  I didn't run track or cross-country in high school or college.  I did a bit of running in the US Army.  The daily unit level stuff.  I'm just your recreational runner. I started back in 2007 when I finished college.  I've done some races and you can see the results here: http://athlinks.com/athletes/36513274/Profile  It doesn't show the nine 100 mile races I've DNF (did not finish).  And from the results you can see I'm pretty much a middle of the pack type of guy.  So if you're looking for a pro trainer, go pay for one.  If you're looking for an accessible person to help you out and has some experience, then I'm your man.  Running is my primary passion.  I run a bunch, but it does wax and wane.  I read a lot of books about running and have been interested in diet, exercise, and weight lifting since about the age of twelve.  I'm based in the San Antonio, TX area in the United States.  I have two dogs but I never take them running. I train using all the various types of shoe, gear, and training methods. Versa Climber, Concept 2 Rower, Kettle Bells, free weights, weight vests, the road, the track, the trail.

Motivational Note:

My favorite old school runner is Emil Zatopek:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Z%C3%A1topek

I saw this quote of his on the back of a T-Shirt on a plane in India when I was heading up to a race called La Ultra - The High: http://laultrathehigh.wordpress.com/ and it has stayed with me:

What has passed is already finished with. What I find more interesting is what is still to come.

So no matter what you have done, no matter where you have been, each day is a new day.  An opportunity to be who you want.  Running is a vehicle to get you there. 

2 comments: